Admitted to the Bar : Québec – 2015
Education : Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Université de Montréal (2014)
Certificate in Business Administration (2010), ESG UQÀM
Mélissa Bazin has been a member of the Québec Bar for over 5 years. She joined the Belleau Lapointe team in 2019 after starting her career in civil and commercial litigation and insurance law with major Québec firms.
Her practice focuses on civil and commercial litigation, as well as class actions. Over the years, she has developed a particular expertise and interest in consumer law and shareholder disputes. As such, she represents consumer associations in several large-scale class actions in consumer law, particularly in matters of product liability and misrepresentation. Mélissa also represents corporate shareholders, primarily in oppression proceedings.
Her in-depth legal knowledge, reliability, and attention to detail make her an invaluable asset not only when vigorously representing her clients before the courts, but also when advising and assisting them to draft proceedings.
Since 2021, Mélissa has been on the Board of Directors of L’Illusion, Théâtre de marionnettes, whose mission is to promote accessibility to the arts for young people.
- Represented a group of minority shareholders to challenge an interlocutory injunction to stay a share sale transaction.
- Acted on behalf of the plaintiff in a product liability class action in the consumer products sector involving a product recall.
- Acted on behalf of the plaintiff in several class actions in the area of consumer and competition law.
- Represented insurance brokers and insurers in several professional liability cases.
- Represented architects in several professional liability cases.
- Acted on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in several construction civil litigation cases.
- Acted on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants in several cases of latent defects.