Admitted to the Bar : Québec – 2005
Education : Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), Université de Montréal (2001)
Violette Leblanc is a lawyer and partner. She joined the Belleau Lapointe team over 10 years ago and has developed particular expertise in handling complex disputes. Her practice focuses on coordinating the strategic aspects of complex files and advising the firm’s lawyers on cutting-edge issues. She also specializes in appellate proceedings. Her tactical skills and in-depth knowledge of consumer and civil and commercial law make her a key asset in class actions and shareholder disputes.
Violette has participated in many class actions in Québec and in Canada. She both litigates and negotiates to settle disputes. Certain files in which she acted have contributed to shaping the class action landscape and are now leading authorities in Québec and in Canada. Violette recently spearheaded negotiations on behalf of Québec consumers that resulted in a national settlement valued at over $2 billion in the Volkswagen diesel emissions case.
Firmly convinced that class actions are a superior tool for access to justice, Violette has developed solid expertise in managing settlements and distribution. Ever concerned about ensuring that the class members she represents actually benefit, in recent years, Violette has played a leading role in designing and implementing highly successful distribution campaigns.
- Since 2020 – Benchmark Litigation Future Star
- Violette Leblanc, “Publicité comportementale en ligne et renseignements personnels : état des lieux et règles applicables” in Barreau du Québec – Service de la formation continue, National Conference on Class Actions – Recent Developments in Québec, Canada and the United States (Cowansville, QC: Yvon Blais, 2021).
- Panelist, “Les enjeux relatifs à l’homologation d’une transaction et approbation des honoraires” as part of a conference delivered at the National Conference on Class Actions – Recent Developments in Québec, Canada and the United States, March 21, 2019.
- Violette Leblanc, “Le droit à l’information de l’actionnaire minoritaire” in Barreau du Québec – Service de la formation continue, Développements récents en droit des affaires (2016) (Cowansville, QC: Yvon Blais, 2016).
- Violette Leblanc and Benoît Lapointe, “Le statut de plaignant de l’actionnaire non-inscrit aux livres de la société en matière de recours pour oppression” in Barreau du Québec – Service de la formation continue, Développements récents en droit des affaires (2012) (Cowansville, QC: Yvon Blais, 2012).
- Daniel Belleau and Violette Leblanc, “Concurrence : Mode d’emploi – Recours collectifs et complots en matière de fixation de prix” in Barreau du Québec – Service de la formation continue, Développements récents en recours collectifs (2012) (Cowansville, QC: Yvon Blais, 2012).
- Ejan Mackaay, Violette Leblanc, Nicolette Kost de Sèvres, and Emmanuel S. Darankoum, “L’économie de la bonne foi contractuelle” in Benoît Moore (Dir.), Mélanges Jean Pineau (Montréal: Thémis, 2003).
- Represented a consumer association in various class actions concerning prohibited practices and the disclosure of annual fees by merchants under the Consumer Protection Act.
- Represented prescription drug users in a class action against the manufacturer for misrepresentations.
- Represented a consumer association in class actions concerning international cartels involved in price-fixing of electronic components.
- Represented a consumer association in a class action concerning polluting emissions of diesel vehicles.
- Represented investor victims of a Ponzi scheme in a class action against accounting firms and securities custodians based on extra-contractual liability.